I finished this baby quilt today for a lady at church. She is due next month with her second girl. I knew I wanted to make something modern this time. Something similar to a coin quilt. With this one I added an inch to the sashing fabric each time I added a strip so that it gradually gets wider. I think next time I will add a little more. It is hard to tell to me. I used some fabric squares from the Hello Betty line made by Moda. I bought the charm pack a while back and have been waiting for the right time to use it. The back of the quilt is some Noah’s Ark material that I have a few yards of. I have used it a few times for the back of baby quilts. I hope she likes it.
With a Flash
With Out the Flash
Just thought I would add a picture of my boy from his football game the other night. He sacked the quarterback. Way to go Tyler!!!
Here is the quilt I made for the Quilts for Kids program. They sent me the kit. All I had to do was provide the batting and sew the quilt together. I named the quilt- Seeing Spots. I love the dog fabric. I hope it keeps a child nice and warm.
I came across some 1930’s material I had bought while going through my stash. I bought a half of a yard of it knowing I would use it some day. This is another material that speaks to the kid in me. I used some of it to make a friendship star block for a swap the other day and thought this would be cute for a baby quilt. So I left it out so that I would remind myself to use it. I recently got my Quiltmakers magazine in the mail. It was sitting on the coffee table so I flipped through it. On the back page I came across a picture of a quilt that jumped out at me. The pattern was called Take 5. The colors were the same as what I wanted to use for my baby quilt. I thoroughly examined the quilt and figured out how to make one of the blocks. I immediately went to my stash and started digging for fabrics to go with the 30’s material. The colors in the material are yellow, a sage green, red, and a little black.
Of course not having the actually size of the blocks I just made up my own. I used 4 1/2 inch squares, 2 1/2 inch squares, and a 2 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch rectangle. The finished blocks came out to 6 1/2 inches. Once I had 20 blocks made I laid them out on the kitchen table trying to decide on how to sew them together. After a few minutes I came up with the now finished product. I added a 2 1/2 inch border of the red print. The top measures 28 x 34 inches.
Here is a close up of the 30’s material and other prints I had to go with it.
Here is a picture of it in black and white. I was playing around with the settings on the camera.